Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sabres GM for the Summer - Part One

The Buffalo News likes their summer feature where some of the jobs of the major sports players are divied up between editors and columnists for a day; What would Bucky Gleason do if he was the GM at One Bills Drive? How would Mark Gaughan make the team Bucky put together do something on the field? How would Jerry Sullivan fix the power play?

Well, as an opinionated Sabres fan, I clearly think I have all the answers. (Or, at least I find it fun to consider what I might do to improve my team). So, here's my 'off the cuff' plan for the Sabres off-season.

(Note: I'm going to be working with the numbers that are essentially agreed upon in the media from what I've read in the News and heard on WGR 550 that the Sabres, with who they have signed, plus the remaining RFAs are going to have about $10 Million to work with)

1) Sign a Third Line Center
This year isn't quite the year to go fishing in the open waters for big game, unless it's not so much in the open waters but much closer to home (I'll get to that later). Brad Richards is a heck of a player, but his price is going to be driven up by the lack of other top tier players (let alone centermen) that are entering Free Agency this year. So, while I feel the number one center is a definite need for this team.

My first look is going to be at former Sabres and soon to be form Rangers Captain Chris Drury. I don't have qualms over the way he left in bringing him back to the team (if he will come at the right place) and I think he's the kind of player who can call business business and sit down with Lindy, Thomas Vanek, Ryan Miller and the rest of the leaders in the room and say, 'This is your team, not mine. I'm here if you need me, but you're the vocal leader. I'm the guy who's going to do my job and put everything out there on the ice.' If that works, and we can get him for somewhere between $1.75 and $2.25 Million, preferably lower but with reasonable performance bonuses, then I'm a happy man.

But, there are lots of ifs there, not the least of which being hangups from 2007 and the fact that his being bought out (which can happen from today onward) puts him on the market first. My secondary thought here is a guy like Tomas Fleischmann of the Colorado Avalanche. He's a solid player who didn't play a full season last year but was able to pick up 31 points over 45 games. Extrapolated to a full season, he'd end up with 56 1/2 points, which would have been good enough for second on the team in scoring (his 31 points would have tied him with Nathan Gerbe and Paul Gaustad for 9th on the team in scoring). According to Cap Geek, he made approximately 2.6 Million dollars last year, and it is possible that his price could go up based on the aforementioned center-light free agent market. If he can be had between 2.75 and 3.5, plus incentives, I'm all in, as he has the potential to fill a second-line roll behind Derek Roy if we need to wait to get our top dog.

Without going too much more deeply into the pool of Free Agents I would offer one more option. The problem is, that option is Tim Connolly. I am not a huge Tim hater, but I think that his time here may simply be done, and unlike Max Afinagenov, he doesn't have a huge local fan base to root for his return. What he is is a (mostly) solid center who became invaluable on the PK by the end of last season. I don't relish the idea of bringing him back, and certainly not for what we were paying him before. But, if we need to, say somewhere between 1.5 and 2.25, I would (reluctantly) sign up for it.

2. Keep the Fish you have
If not for the fact that Drury may be available at some point today, I would have made this my first point, because this is the single most important thing that the Sabres need to do; Lock Tyler Myers up and do it for the long term. There's a lot of talk about players with "It" factor, the guys who have the skill, the room to grow and the intangibles to be a sure thing. Myers is that guy, the way that there hasn't been a guy like that on this team since Pat LaFontaine. He is the guy on this lineup who is not expendable in any way shape or form. I sit the big fella down and say, "Tyler, you are the guy who is going to lead this team to the promised land," and then proceed to back up a Brinks Truck. My guess is that we land somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 Years and somewhere between $38 and $45 Million dollars. It's a huge pay day, but is nothing compared to what he'd get on the open market, and getting an RFA offer sheet next year on him that makes Vanek's look like pocket change is not at all unrealistic for a talent like his.

3. Clear Cap Space
Yes, I know, $10 Million sounds like a lot of money to play with. But, realistically, it's one big fish or two medium sized fish (to be mentioned in the second half of our run down). But that's just next year. Sabres owner Terry Pegula has redefined the goal of the team, the oft quoted "the Buffalo Sabres' reason for existence will be to win a Stanley Cup[1]." Barring miraculous work of EA Sports NHL trading proportions and/or remarkable effort from this squad, it's probably not going to happen this year. So I'm building for the future and keeping an eye on the cap, because it doesn't matter how much money our super-heroic owner has, the cap will keep it in check. Here are the two or three steps I would take;

  1. Move Shaone Morrisonn down to the AHL team (whoever it ends up being). It moves 2.075 Million off the books while keeping him around in case we run short of defenders. It also lets him grow into a veteran role on the aforementioned AHL team.
  2. Find someone to take Brad Boyes off our hands. Don't get me wrong; I like Boyes. I like him a lot, enough that I was considering trading away Drew Stafford's rights or just letting him go for a matched contract (and picks). I think that his slump towards the end of the season was because he was forced to play center and that even moving him back to the wing, he never got into his groove in the playoffs. I think he can be the guy who showed up the day he was traded here. But, I've paid for Stafford, and need the cash more than the player. If we trade him away for a low pick (a.k.a. thank you for taking this money off our hands) it's fine, but I see him being able to get a third round pick or a prospect for him.
  3. This is the tricky one. I've already said that my number one center isn't my goal this year. But, I'm willing to look at it if the move is right. Derek Roy has two years at 4 Million a year left on his contract. For the right team, that could be a very attractive player at a very attractive price, like Boyes was to us this year. But... this is contingent on the right play being out there to get a Top Flight (if not Superstar) center that will work on this team AND then being able to replace Roy as a would be 2nd line center. 

That's it for part one. Stay tuned for the second half of my summation of what I would do, if I were the Sabres GM this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment